Tuesday, October 13, 2009

2 Days, 1679 Miles, 9 States & 1 Federal District

After a full year of being without my car, my girlfriend and I flew back to Lubbock, TX to drive her back to DC. I gave myself a four-day weekend to do it: one day for maintenance, two days for driving and one just-in-case day. I used that extra day almost immediately when I found that the driveshaft center support bearing had dried out and failed.

Note to Self: Avoid searching for car parts on a Friday afternoon.

So, after replacing the center support bearing, the flex-disk, the rear wheel cylinders, a dried-out length of fuel line and changing the oil & filter, I was on the road.


Beginning at 6AM in Lubbock, TX in the cooooold rain.



This is what the road looked like on the way to Amarillo, TX.



....and this is what I looked like on the road to Amarillo, TX. Yes, I was really that awake.




Cheap Motel Tip: Try to get a well-lit parking spot and don't expect much from the continental breakfast.



St. Louis











And, finally, in her spot at my work. I don't know how long I'll be able to park her here, but I hope it lasts!





We took 2 days, used 67 gallons of gasoline, covered 1679 miles and saw 9 states and 1 federal district. That's an average of 25mpg. Not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment