Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wiring Re-Wrap and Some Handles

I spent a lot of free time in the last two weeks going through and sorting out a wiring harness that I bought. I followed a wiring diagram and went through five rolls of friction tape and one reel of label-maker tape. The result is a much cleaner and simpler wiring harness than the one that is currently residing in my car.

Also, I screwed in the grab handles over teh rear side windows. I was nervous to puncture teh headliner, but it actually allowed me to correct a wrinkle or two.

Monday, February 20, 2012


I replaced the headliner over the last few weeks. It's not without its flaws, but it sure beat paying someone to do it.

I used a few cable mounting tabs to secure the bows, so that they wouldn't rotate and subsequently sag the headliner. See full installation notes HERE.

I also used this great roller lockstrip tool to reinstall the windshield seals (with Dudley's help).

That's clear silicone caulk oozing out of the seal. We used it to make sure that the seals remain watertight.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rearview Mirror

The early 1600s came with an elegant, chrome, slide-in rearview mirror. In 1968, BMW switched to a breakaway style mirror that domestic and international safety standards suggested would be less likley to lodge itself in a passenger's forehead during a crash. So, throwing reflective vehicular caution to the wind, I decided to clean up the original mirror for the 1600.

With quite a bit of filing, sanding and buffing, the mirror stalk looks a lot better than it did when I unearthed it from the parts stash.

The original mirror part was degraded beyond repair, so I used a mirror from a[n] 7 Series E21, which got a little touch-up paint. You can see the size difference between the new and old.

The headliner will cover the black plastic receiver.

EDIT: As it turns out, this is an E21 mirror. I found my 7-Series mirror, which is substantially larger, then I immediately and clumsily dropped it, breaking the mirror.