Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rearview Mirror

The early 1600s came with an elegant, chrome, slide-in rearview mirror. In 1968, BMW switched to a breakaway style mirror that domestic and international safety standards suggested would be less likley to lodge itself in a passenger's forehead during a crash. So, throwing reflective vehicular caution to the wind, I decided to clean up the original mirror for the 1600.



With quite a bit of filing, sanding and buffing, the mirror stalk looks a lot better than it did when I unearthed it from the parts stash.


The original mirror part was degraded beyond repair, so I used a mirror from a[n] 7 Series E21, which got a little touch-up paint. You can see the size difference between the new and old.




The headliner will cover the black plastic receiver.


EDIT: As it turns out, this is an E21 mirror. I found my 7-Series mirror, which is substantially larger, then I immediately and clumsily dropped it, breaking the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment